Feb 26, 2006

Judging a cover by its book.

Keeping the theme from the last post, these covers are from recent or upcoming comics. Most of them are from last week. Some of these I have or will read. Others I've never even heard of. I tried to be completely objective and just pick the best of recent covers. Comics Covers helped a lot with this.


In order from top to bottom, left to right: Wonder Woman 226; What If . . . Wolverine; Savage Dragon 123; Punisher Max 28; Spider-Woman: Origin 1; 100 Bullets 70; Big Questions 8; Batman: Secrets 1; In The Blood 1; Crickets 1; Fell 6

In other comic news, the first issue of the Lark/Brubaker Daredevil is now out. I've been a big fan of the Bendis/Maleev run, but this was probably the first time I've been totally engrossed in a single issue. Brubaker's TV-drama style adds a more epic quality to the story. Even when Bendis changes point of view, he's a character-focused writer. I miss Maleev's artwork, but I love the new team.

I liked Lark's work much better before I saw it colored. I would love to see DD done as a b&w book. It's not that much of a stretch from Maleev's noir-ishly-shadowed* backgrounds and faces. It probably wouldn't do as well, but I don't know that DD was ever one of Marvel's biggest money-makers.



*Yes, I know that is total b.s.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love them all, esp. 100 Bullets. Except Spider-Woman....hers is sort of cheesy and blah. And can't Wolverine get a new haircut? Or is that where his mutant powers come from?