Mar 21, 2006

Drat & Post pt2

Well, today I should have been talking about how I bought Drum’s Not Dead by the Liars and Bring It Back by Mates of State. But none of what passes for the music stores in this town had either, so I came home with the deluxe edition of Downward Spiral (Best Buy has it for $20 now) and a Mark Langenan EP. I’ll be placing an order from insound shortly.

So instead of previews of the albums, you’re getting part two of “Post.”

Thanks for reading and enjoy:

“Post” pt2

Here’s the part where someone accuses me of being a hipster (Is that good or bad?) or of simply enjoying things for their obscurity. Some of my favorite artists are huge and completely known: Nine Inch Nails, Radiohead, Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, Sr., and even the Beatles. See, I’m not one of those indie purists who say the Kinks were better than the Beatles. VU were, however.

I like music because it speaks to me or makes me wanna move my ass, and I listen occasionally listen to things because they’re challenging or interesting. People ask me what kind of music I like. I say, “Everything.” There is no genre that I can say I don’t like something from. (Please, feel free to take this moment to make fun of my overzealous sincerity and narcissism. See, I’m as cynical as you.)

But enough about me, we’re here to talk about the music. According to my girlfriend, she’s occasionally surprised my taste in music. Most recently she was taken off-guard by my interest in Horse the Band, a band two or three blocks away form the accessibility of Robbers on High Street. In addition to how post-hardcore-freak-out-punk (or whatever you wish to call it) makes me want to break a hip and slap my hands together, I love how it challenges while entertaining. Like most good rock, it doesn’t take itself too seriously, but still makes a serious statement. And there’s nothing wrong with the adrenaline tingle up my backside when I hear “Cutsman.”

. . . to be continued . . .

Download “Cutsman” by Horse the Band

No comments: